Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Civics, Rights, and Responsibilities

Civics is the study of what it means to be a U.S citizen. As a U.S citizen, I have freedom, rights, and responsibilities. I have the freedom to learn, which is protected in the United States. One of the responsibilities associated with this freedom is to attend school. I have to show up at school and to be respectful to everyone. I choose to act on the freedom to learn because I want to get a good education, so I can get a good job. I have the responsibility to support my family, and the only way I can do that is to have a good education.

I wonder if education is a freedom, why do people go against it and not attend school?

3 comments:

  1. Good question Ashley. I am really impressed with this post. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    Excellent post! Good question! Umm . . . I think some people choose not to attend school for various reasons. (1) They might not see the benefits of a good education. (2) The schools might not be meeting their needs as learners. I wonder how we can change that.

    I am proud of you—proud that you see the benefits of a good education and proud that you are embracing your freedom to learn. I am honored to be one of your teachers.

    Ms. Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! It was nice meeting you yesterday. You and your classmates are so smart!! Thank you for making me feel welcome at your school.

    I was very impressed with all of you and I'm looking forward to witnessing your progress in the class.

    Your blog post about taking freedoms for granted is really thought-provoking. Keep up the great work!

    David

    ReplyDelete